Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Where, oh, where has our lovely spring gone? Oh, where, oh, where, can it be? The Northwest has had so much rain lately...three weeks straight, maybe. We have short bursts of sunshine every few days, but really, it has been dark, dismal, and wet. I can't wait for several days in a row of sunshine. My garden is soggy and needs some rays to feed itself to a healthy, green, bushy quality.

I buy seasonal vegetables (cheaper and tastier), much like other smart shoppers. This weekend I bought asparagus, which I don't grow in my own garden, yet. I know people who grow asparagus successfully around here, but haven't tried it yet myself. Tonight when we got home, we decided on comforting spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic bread. And asparagus. The kids have had asparagus before - they are definitely familiar with it. When you have a toddler, doctors and magazines tell you that a child needs to experience a food ten times before it becomes familiar enough for them to like it. We evidently have had asparagus enough times, because neither of my kids said a negative word. They both took a stalk of asparagus and ate it. Katie said she loved it, even though she only had one.

Robby gave me a very dramatic monologue that went: "The asparagus was...(dramatic pause) crispy. The asparagus was...(slightly longer dramatic pause) green. The asparagus was...(hear the drama?) fresh. The asparagus was...(quicker delivery on this one) good."

I roasted the asparagus at 400 degrees, drizzled in olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkled with salt, pepper, and tarragon. Yummmm. Let's see...what to introduce next. Eggplant. Any ideas?

Here's a shout out to my followers. Thanks for reading. Have any of you come up with more cranberry ideas?

2 comments:

  1. My kids were like sharks circling around the oven when I made eggplant parm. That may be a way.

    The Grandkids love asparagus better roasted also. We also roast cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli.

    Loving the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee I wrote a long one on pie crusts...do you see it?

    ReplyDelete