Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Grandma's Tuna Turnovers



What do you remember from your mother's cooking? I remember meatloaf, spaghetti, pot roast...and tuna turnovers. I've talked before about mom and her Betty Crocker 3-ring notebook. I remember that book being on the counter in our kitchen and a lot of recipes being used from it. In my memory, Mom used it for everything. Recently, however, this memory has been corrected.

The kids and I came to stay with Mom for a few days. I am attending a class at Seattle University for a few days and the kids are hanging out with Grandma while I'm at class. It's perfect - no hotel charges (thanks to Mom's Inn); carpooling with a friend who lives by Mom; and fun for the kids while I'm busy. After talking with Mom about our stay, I thought - what a perfect time to share Grandma's tuna turnovers with the kids. Much to my surprise, Mom remembered making them, but did not remember where the recipe was. Much to my greater surprise, when I suggested the tried and true Betty Crocker binder, she admitted that she had thrown it out after buying the updated version! Wow. However, loving and creative Grandma that she is, she thought she could recreate the recipe.

So tonight, sans ketchup or any other condiment, we ate tuna turnovers. They were indeed as wonderful as my memory of them. Light and crispy crust. (Mom makes a great pie crust. I think I need to practice with her.) Creamy and delicious on the inside. Katie said, "I love these." But really, Katie loves Grandma and cannot get enough of her. Robby said, "I like the insides." Grandma and I ate them all up and then tried our best to write down her "recipe".

Grandma's Tuna Turnovers

For the Filling
1/2 can condensed mushroom soup
1 can (5 oz) Tuna, drained (Mom uses tuna packed in water)
1/4 cup diced cheddar cheese (This was Robby's favorite part of the filling)
1 chopped green onion
dash of pepper
1 1/2 small potatoes, thinly sliced
Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside while making crust.
For the Crust
2/3 cup and 2 Tbsp butter flavored shortening
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 to 5 Tbsp cold water
Cut the shortening into the flour and salt until the pieces are the size of peas. Sprinkle in the water, 1 Tbsp at a time, tossing the mixture with a fork until all the flour is moistened and the pastry almost cleans the side of the bowl. Gather the dough into a ball. Divide the ball into four equal parts. Roll each out into a circle, about 1/8 inch thick. Scoop 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling onto one side of each circle. Fold dough in half over filling, crimping the edges together. Pierce the top of each turnover with the times of the fork. Mom used to make the first letter of our names with the tines of the fork.
Bake at 400 degrees for 23 to 25 minutes. Let cool! The insides are sooo hot. But sooo yummy. These definitely created memories for me. Now my kids and I will have to try them on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment