Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Creative Father's Day


Truth be told, Arnie is the creative cook. When I first met Arnie, he would brag about his chef experiences, detailing his cooking expertise with many cuisines. Over time, I've figured out that he was a prep chef at a young age - he prepped plates and salads and I'm really unclear how long he did that. He also worked with the catering chef for Marriott at our university, and again, his exact duties and the length of this job are unclear. Nevertheless, he is a pretty good cook when he puts his mind to it. Salty, though. Hang on, I need a glass of water.

Okay. I'm better. One of the first meals that Arnie prepared for me was Swiss Steak. He braised cube steak in tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce with lots of onions and garlic salt. He has never made it exactly the same way twice because there really is no recipe. It is always delicious, though, and I drink a lot of water afterward. Especially when he serves it with a red wine. For a long time I was afraid to make it myself, but one year, I decided that it was important for me to make it for him for Father's Day. Now it is tradition for me and the kids to make him Swiss Steak on Father's Day. I load it up with Worcestershire and garlic salt just for Arnie. He usually tastes it a couple of times to help me season it to his taste. By the time we serve it over rice, it is rich, salty, and declared perfect by the master himself. Arnie's own creation but made by me!

Tonight we had some appetizers before the steak because we went to see Toy Story 3 - excellent movie as rated by the Lewises, and we got home late. Arnie bought his favorite snacks. Smoked Guyere cheese and chips and salsa. He looked over his new fishing lures as they munched on the appetizers.
I hope he knows what a great dad he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment