Saturday, November 13, 2010

Working on Better Breakfast

Soften onions and garlic in butter.
 I'm still searching for memorable Saturday morning breakfast.  Okay, in our house at this point, I'm trying to erase the popularity of Bisquick pancakes...I tried quiche.  I don't get along very well with pie crust, although my last attempt was not too bad.  My friend, Swiss, suggested that I try a frittata.  This morning I found a recipe that I could substitute my own ingredients for and went to town making breakfast. 
Dig around for left over meat.  I found sausage with cheddar cheese in it!  Hmmm.  Who bought this?

Whisk up 4 to 6 eggs and season with salt and pepper.
 Making the frittata was easy and savory, two things I love about breakfast.  Most of the work is done in a skillet on the stove.  The dish is finished under the broiler and smothered in cheese.  As I was cooking, Katie wandered out to see what smelled so good - always a good sign.  She then headed back to report to Daddy that I was making a - oh wait, she had to come back to hear the word again - frittata.  Robby left the comfort of his bed and brought his DS to the living room.  Another good sign.  Of all the breakfast eaters in the house, Robby is the hardest to please.  If breakfast isn't warm and fluffy, he struggles with it.
Hash browns, sausage, eggs setting up on medium high heat.
 Fortunately, this breakfast went extremely well.  Everyone cleaned their plate.  Katie and Arnie went back for seconds.  I celebrated!  Jackpot!  An easy, delicious, use-up-the-leftovers breakfast.  I can imagine making this next Saturday with leftover salmon, red peppers, and cheese!  Ha!  More cheese and fish.
Maybe I will make memorable Saturday morning breakfast yet.  I hope that someday Katie and Robby call me for my frittata recipe.  "Remember that frying pan egg dish you used to make, Mom?  Can I have that recipe?"  I will pretend that it was no big deal and of course, they can have the recipe.
Voila!  A pretty dish.
Evidence of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment