Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Change in Plans

Robby and I were supposed to go to youth group tonight at 6:30.  In fact, tonight was my turn to teach it.  I had a great lesson ready about the saints and had picked out a couple of really cool games to play - like Crab Soccer with a gigantic soccer ball.  Whenever I have to teach, I plan an early dinner, trying to get us to the table by 5 pm so that I have plenty of time to prepare after dinner.

At 4:30, I was boiling water for noodles and checking my spaghetti sauce (which had come from a jar with onion, hamburger, and home-canned tomato sauce added to stretch it) when Arnie came in to the kitchen at a faster than usual rate of speed, babbling something about not letting Katie see.  I turned to see him holding his hand out.  He was dripping blood and looking a bit pale.  As I started toward him, he turned to head back out the kitchen door way and down the hall.  Blank expression.  Uh, oh.  I know my Arnie.  He does not have a high tolerance for blood.

"Wupp, Wupp! Get back in here," I called.  He obeyed and went to the sink.  The floor was now covered with spots of blood and I think he was realizing that Katie wasn't the only one who shouldn't be looking at his cut.  I got him to sit in a chair and put pressure on his thumb.  He explained that he was sharpening his "bush" knife - the one with the scary hook that he takes fishing to cut away the brush.  Enough said.  The appendage was a thumb which equals a lot of bleeding; the cut was at an angle which creates a flap.  Arnie was looking a little better now that he was sitting down, but I knew we had to head to the emergency room.  I got on the phone and got coverage for the youth group - God bless our Christian community.  The woman I called wasn't even feeling well, but still went in to cover for me.

I called for Katie and Robby, granting Robby permission to stay at home by himself with doors locked and phone by his side.  Katie came with us.  I turned off the stove, spot cleaned the floor with a Clorox wipe and headed out.  We got to the tiny Hospital in McCleary at about 5:00, signed in and waited.  Others came in that were more serious, but the nurses kept checking on us to assure us they hadn't forgotten.

After two hours, Arnie was soaking in an Iodine solution. I commented that I would be disappointed if we spent hours in an emergency room and left with butterfly bandages.  Katie concurred, but Arnie seemed upset that I would wish stitches upon him.  I tried to be a better, more compassionate wife after that.  At some point, I called and had Robby put the spaghetti sauce in the refrigerator and stopped believing that I would make it to the last part of youth group.

At 8:00, a doctor showed up and caused more pain with an anesthetic and a needle.  He reopened the cut and decided that indeed, stitches would help it heal better.  After his work was done, we waited some more.  At 8:30, a nurse that we had worked with throughout our 3 and a half hour event came in with the final paperwork, prescriptions, and instructions.  He remarked, "Well, at least you got some sutures.  Made it worth your while."  I promise.  I tried not to start laughing.  Arnie looked completely blasphemed.  He cried out, "That's what she said!"  And I lost it.  Laughed until I cried.

We were finally headed home around 8:35.  Robby put the sauce back on the stove for us.  He started the water for noodles as well.  What a terrible Sunday night!  The kids got to bed so late.  Arnie's thumb is starting to throb.  I missed youth group.  Deep breath.  Tomorrow starts a new week.

Here's the latest the Lewis family has ever had dinner!

































The thumb in question, still a bit numb from the anesthetic, easily forks spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment