Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Fork for the Stew


Here's more on stews. I love a great stew. I don't make enough of them! When the kids were little, 4 and 6 years old, they would groan. Stews were hard to eat since they didn't know what was in them. Murky soups filled with lumps of vegetables and who knows what. Over time, they realized those lumps were the potatoes, carrots, and onions that they love. They discovered that sometimes (like tonight) there is bacon in the stew. All that thick, murky gravy-like broth brings them comfort now that they are 9 and 11.

I've made this stew before and have blogged about it before, too. I can't stop myself. Sometimes a great recipe just inspires me. This one is a Rachael Ray 30 minute meal recipe. She actually calls it Chicken Mug Pie. You are supposed to put it in mugs with a biscuit on top of it like a pot pie crust. We have done this before, but I love to play with a great soup recipe. This time I fried bacon first, then cooked the chicken with the bacon bits. Mmmmm. Smells great. I always add more veggies than Rachael's recipe calls for since it gets better with more in it. Comfort food at its best. Exactly what Arnie needs tonight since he had a root canal today!

So everyone gobbled their stew tonight. Some only used their spoons, but a couple of us used our fork, too. Helps a person pick up the delicious chunks of chicken and veggies.

Katie bit her tongue which almost ruined her dinner until Arnie suggested that combined with her new head gear and talking less while eating, she will be biting her tongue less often within a year. We all laughed and Katie finished her dinner, admitting that she couldn't argue with that. When I take my blog pictures these days, they both want in, so although I plan to put in fewer photos, I end up with more. Here they are forking the stew for me.
A side bar - I've had my white dishes for 5 years now and just love them. They set a pretty table!

No comments:

Post a Comment