Friday, November 12, 2010

Cheese on Fish? How could she?

Oh, now I've done it.  Foodies beware.  Maureen made salmon melts tonight.  Yes.  I flaked our leftover salmon, mixed it with pan-fried veggies, mayonnaise, and a spicy eggplant and red pepper spread, slathered it thickly on toast, sprinkled on shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and broiled that puppy until it was melty.  Did you get all that?  Woe to those who swear to never put cheese on fish.  We liked it.  A lot.

I'm always looking for quick fixes for Wednesdays and Fridays.  Those two days, the kids and I have enough time to get home for about 2 hours before we head off to swim team.  This week we have been eating an enormous fillet of salmon which a friend gave us.  We've eaten salmon patties (a great recipe for another blog), simply reheated pieces of the salmon fillet, and had it cold on salad.  Tonight, I thought I'd replicate a tuna melt with the salmon.  Why is it that we can make tuna melts but the "chefs" tell us never to put cheese on fish?

Since I'm not a chef, just a mom trying to use up the salmon and keep the kids interested, I put cheese on it.  So, I don't think they got their serving of vegetables even though the salmon had celery, onion, red pepper and green pepper in it.  It wasn't enough to be a full serving.  However, the rice was brown, the bread was brown, and the cheese was real!

Katie ate hers so fast I couldn't get a picture.  She ate two melts.  The rest of us only had one because they were a little rich with all that mayonnaise.  So, if you are aghast that I melted cheese over salmon, beware, we like it and will likely do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment