Saturday, July 31, 2010

Maureen Feeds the Cats

Every morning this sweet little guy waits patiently until about 6:30 for me to wake up. Around 6:30, if I'm not moving yet, he begins marching around on me, meowing loudly. If I still don't move, he will flop down by my head, which usually means on my chest, and begins licking me - yes, I said licking me - with little, tiny, tickling licks. This definitely wakes me up, but I try to ignore him. He's persistent, though, when his stomach is growling. When I can't stand it anymore, I roll out of bed. He jumps off first. If I stop to put on my robe, he stands in the doorway and meows more loudly. Howls really. He's yelling, "Move faster, woman!" He races down the hallway.

Padme lazily follows. Even in this shot, doesn't she look half asleep? Anakin's meowing usually rouses her. She'll stand in her kitty bed at the end of my bed and wait for us to leave, then she saunters out. The two of them pace in front of their dishes while I make my coffee. All the while Anakin is still yelling at me. At the sound of my coffee perking, I finally feed them.



They get food twice a day. Sad, isn't it? Even at twice a day, Anakin remains over weight. The veterinarian always gives us tips about how to bring his weight down, but I think he eats all the food Padme leaves behind. I try to catch him, but often I get too busy, distracted, or just forget to watch.




They eat, then they sit in the window or by the back door and make crazy cat sounds at the birds and chipmunks in our back yard. If the sun is out, which usually it is not this summer, Padme will lay in the beams and roll around. We love these critters. They are a riot. Anakin even lets Katie put doll clothes on him. When silly stuff happens to Anakin, Padme will sit and stare from a far with a snotty look on her face. As though she scoffs at his silliness.

Later in the evening, when I finally sit down to rest, my kitties climb up and love on me. Padme always chooses legs to lay on. She also always lays with her head away from the person. That way, we can pet her, but we can't kiss her or get too close. Anakin, on the other hand, he'd be on my face if I let him. He rubs against us and licks us. There is something to having pets that makes moments like this so sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment