Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Fig Jam Knock Off Sandwich

One of the days that we were in Sisters, Oregon, we wandered the quaint streets of the town looking for lunch. We had a couple of requirements. I wanted intimate. Arnie wanted unique. We both wanted tasty but light cuisine. We walked past a packed BBQ restaurant. Must be good because it was crowded. We walked past a burger joint - also crowded and smelled like a steak house. Yummy, but not light. A couple blocks away, we could see a sign that said, "Cafe". I suggested we check it out. Doesn't "cafe" imply small and charming? On the way to the cafe, we walked past Cork Cellars Wine Bar and Bottle Shop. Wait a minute! I went back. They had a menu posted on the wall. Yum. Panini sandwiches, salads, cheese plates. Marinated spicy olives is the first item on their starter menu. I was sold. In we went.
We chatted with the friendly and well-informed woman who greeted us. She made a couple of suggestions on Oregon wines and then on the food. I focused on the fig jam bruschetta. It had jam, brie cheese, and apples, all broiled slightly. I'm not that familiar with figs but they seem interesting, so I decided to have the bruschetta. Arnie ordered a panini - Emily's Special - recommended by the friendly server. It had smoked turkey, salami, roasted red peppers and an artichoke sauce on rosemary bread. The food met our expectations. The bruschetta was sweet and gooey with melted brie and crunchy with lightly fried apples. I relished every bite. Arnie especially liked the artichoke sauce on the sandwich. We discussed ways to recreate it.
We loved the place so much. It was tiny. We were the only customers most of the time. We sat in easy chairs and enjoyed the atmosphere. I'm sure during their wine tasting hours the place is busy. I'd like to go back to taste wine some day. If you go, tell me what you eat!

Before leaving Cork Cellars, we bought a bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir from Patchwork Cellars and 2 jars of that amazing fig jam. One for me and one for my mom since she stayed with Robby and Katie for us. She stayed an extra night after we got home, so I got to make a breakfast for her this morning. I thought about the bruschetta, then thought about what I had in the cupboards and fridge. So here's what I did! French toast with cream cheese, fig jam, and crispy fried Gala apple slices! Mom and Katie and I really liked it. I actually had neufchatel
cheese instead of cream cheese, which was a little goopy. Cream cheese or brie would have been a better texture. It worked, though! My little fig jam knock off. Thanks, Cork Cellars.

No comments:

Post a Comment