Monday, August 9, 2010

Undaunted and Fiscally Savvy

In my ongoing relationship with whole chickens (I've posted before about roasting whole chickens), I bought more on sale. They have been such good deals lately. How can a person resist? I know I can't. I've also been having canning withdrawals. By this time of the summer I should be freezing and canning like crazy. Yet, tuna and jams have been it. So I thought, chicken stock. I should try chicken stock. What will I give as gifts as presents without being able to can something else this summer? Not to mention I spend money on chicken stock at the grocery store every month.
So, out came the Ball Blue Book. I realized as I read the directions that I would have to cut up the raw chicken. Hmmm. I struggle cutting up a roasted chicken. My super supportive husband cheered me on. "You can do it," he said. "Sharpen a knife really well. It doesn't have to be pretty, right?"
I sharpened several knives in preparation. But, if you know me, I must meet a daunting task head on. Yes, the chicken had to be pretty. Obviously, I had something to learn about cutting up a chicken. I could not go on until I dared to challenge myself. Hungry for information, where did I turn? The Internet! Hooray for millions of people who post everything they know. I found lots of help to cut up a chicken. Here's my favorite from Gourmet Sleuth. This morning after a couple cups of coffee, I set to task. All my nervousness was for nothing! The raw chicken was soooo easy to cut up. Dare I say I had fun? Makes me feel competent.

The first time I can something it takes way longer than it should! The chicken stock took all day. I had to make a trip to the store for bay leaves. I had to stop to see how the ball had landed on Padme in the living room and she didn't move. I had to see the many poodle skirt examples that Katie found on line for her Halloween costume. Katie decided to help me take pictures, so I had about 30 pictures to choose from. I definitely had to stop to comfort my daredevil X-game bicyclist who crashed trying a new jump in the woods. That's okay, though. Chicken stock has to boil for a long time. And cool for a longer time so that the fat can be skimmed off.

When I finally got around to the canning process, Arnie had brought home a pretty rainbow trout and was cooking it up with Italian pickled garlic. The whole kitchen was smoky. Arnie cut himself with one of my super sharp knives. Craziness.


The chicken stock is so pretty. I canned 8 pints of it. Arnie made barbecued chicken sandwiches with the cooked chicken tonight and we have enough for chicken salad sandwiches tomorrow. What a bargain! I will definitely can some more broth.

4 comments:

  1. A bonus to me when it comes to home made broth is no sugar and additives. I have only found one sugarless commercial broth.

    I also use already cooked carcass for broths. No turkey or chicken gets tossed until I cook it with some aromatics and make broth. I often throw the carcass in the fridge until I have two or three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know very much about canning yet, so I tried to follow the blue book recipe this time around. Normally, I also make broth with the carcass then freeze the broth. I always find myself trying to defrost the broth in the middle of my cooking, though, so I decided to try canning instead. Do you think I could can the broth I make with carcass? Does it change the processing times? Something to research.

    ReplyDelete