Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Maureen Inadvertantly Feeds the Wildlife

Although the garden has not fared well this summer, it has done enough to feed the "wildlife". We never got any raspberries this year, but not because they didn't grow. The deer got to them. The raspberries are about a foot tall and nubbly. Bummer. But, I think I've said before, if all they eat is the berries, I'm happy to help out. Now, Chester the Chipmunk, he is another story.
For a couple of summers now, we've noticed an adorable little chipmunk running around our back deck. He would come out early in the morning. He buried our neighbors bird food in all of our pots. I grew sunflowers without really meaning to because I couldn't keep up with Chester. See? We even named him because he was around every day. We assumed it was one chipmunk. But really, how would we be able to tell? This year has been different. This year we know there is more than one because we've seen three sitting together on the back deck! I think they believe we live in their house, not they live in our yard.
This year, they are eating our strawberries. We find them everywhere, when it is too late. Katie sat on one the other day. It was on the edge of the deck. Red stain all over her little booty. I find red tracks through the house sometimes. I've been trying to get a picture of these little buggers this summer, but haven't been fast enough. They scatter quickly. During dinner tonight, I was listening to Arnie and focused over his shoulder at the deck rail. Sitting perfectly in the middle of the post, a strawberry. At least the chipmunks are enjoying my garden!







No comments:

Post a Comment