Saturday, August 7, 2010

More to Say About Port Townsend

If I were smarted, I wouldn't sound off about this beautiful town on the inside of the Olympic Peninsula. Tourists already throng there. Do I really want to bring more crowds to this quiet seaside town? If you haven't been, though, you are missing out. During this visit, we stayed at a hotel down by the water. Our room overlooked the marina and Admiralty Inlet. Our second day in Port Townsend, we checked out of the hotel and found a parking place downtown. The main street is comprised of mostly historic buildings with excellent artsy and hippie shops, a variety of restaurants, and interesting people.
We wandered for a few minutes and then stopped for breakfast at a restaurant called Salal. I highly recommend it. We all found breakfast that satisfied. I ate a chorizo breakfast burrito. It came with a side of medium spicy homemade salsa. It was huge, but I did my best to eat the whole thing. Katie wanted to try their homemade raspberry jam, so she ordered a huge plate of pancakes, eggs, and bacon. She said the jam was yummy. Her pancakes were covered with it. Very sticky. Robby ordered an Italian Scram which had lots of sausage and cheese - a Robby favorite. Arnie had the Ham Scram. Think you can figure that one out? Yup. Ham and cheese. A very fun aside at the Salal Cafe was that the waitress and I shared a name. Truly I have not in my lifetime met more than half a dozen Maureen's. It sparked a fun conversation.

We were pretty stuffed, but a Lewis family trip to Port Townsend is not complete without a trip to the Elevated Ice Cream Company. We love this little candy store. It has great history. It started out as an ice cream "booth" inside and old elevator that still sits, all by itself, across the street. Yes. An elevator without a building. Then, the company opened a store front and expanded their business. They always have interesting candy. This trip I bought green tea caramels. Aren't they pretty? They were sweet and slightly salty with that calming green tea flavor. Wow. Katie loves the Lego bricks and gummy bears.
Robby. Robby chose sour pop rocks. They made him dance and make funny faces they were so sour. Arnie kept the sour theme going with Zotz. I don't know if either kid finished their zotz, they were so sour. They were more sour than the pop rocks, apparently, because Robby could do nothing for about 30 seconds after he put the Zotz in his mouth. Not even open his eyes! Hmmm, doesn't Mom want to try a Zotz? Not today, thank you. Maybe when I lose my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment