Friday, September 24, 2010

We Want a 50 Year Anniversary

I can never forget the reason these kids are on the earth. God thought Arnie and I would be good parents for them, right? Arnie and I fell in love, decided to be together forever, and then promised God that we would welcome children. Even though we fumble around a lot with this whole parenting thing, we seem to be doing all right. Both Robby and Katie excel in school, make friends easily, and bring smiles to grown up faces often. These are great kids.

Here we are in Port Townsend again because the big event is finally here. Grandma Sandy and Grandpa Bruce celebrate their 5oth anniversary this weekend. Everyone is here, including Rene and Tracy from Hawaii and all of Sandy's siblings from Vashon. Tomorrow we head out to a lovely house in Port Hadlock to eat, laugh, and enjoy.

Robby and Katie have planned a funny "radio show" to perform for the group. Several years ago, when the kids both first had voice recording devices, they began a funny ritual in the back seat. On long trips, Katie would start the drama by using a conversational radio voice, introducing herself as "Kit Kat Kandy". She would begin to interview Robby, who eventually caught the radio bug and began introducing himself as "Old Time Root beer". Their "shows" were funny little discussions about whatever we were up to. Maybe shopping in Tacoma - their favorite stores or places eat. Maybe driving to a holiday event - Easter egg hunts or favorite Christmas songs. Eventually we bought Katie a video recorder and the shows became even more real and fun for the kids.

Anyway, the clever rascals have prepared a radio show for Grandpa and Grandma that should be really fun. I made some dip - tuna and salmon. I brought everything with me and made the dip tonight in the hotel room. Definitely one of the strangest places I've prepared food. I wonder what Emeril would say about that. I chopped onion on a plastic lid because I forgot a cutting board. The dip is beautiful and tasty, though. I've blogged about it before since I use my own home-canned salmon and tuna. Arnie spray painted some yard art gold-but not at the hotel. We found cute little metal kids kissing. Perfect for that terrific Port Townsend yard. I would love to experience all this. My kids planning a great anniversary party for us. I hope we keep building the great memories just like Bruce and Sandy's kids have.

No comments:

Post a Comment