Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fall Feasting

We finally got a bag of carrot slices into the freezer. Usually by September my little freezer is packed with frozen vegetables and my shelf is lined with canned vegetables. The carrots are a beautiful orange color although they are smaller than last year. We've been munching on them raw, steaming them for dinner, and throwing them into pot roasts and soups. The garden yielded enough food for us to have fresh vegetables during the summer, although not enough for the winter.

We have had plenty of zucchini and lettuce. The beets look great, too. I need to get outside to harvest beets and beans. It's been raining all morning, but I think I'm going to venture out to the bean patch and see if I can pick beans for dinner. How about some green beans fried in bacon? Yum. Healthy and unhealthy all at the same time. The kids love dinners like that! I do have some pork chops, so the protein will be healthy. Hmmm. What else to have? Roasted beets sound really good.

As the garden winds down for the fall, I feel let down. My harvest was good for us, but not abundant. This was a challenging season for my amateur gardening skills. I will be reading the farmers almanac before planting next year. Hopefully I will learn how to pick vegetables that work in whatever weather next summer brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment