Saturday, April 2, 2011

Lenten Friday

One of the traditions that we have during Lent is making some of the recipes from the Rice Bowl calendar.  We always save our change for the rice bowl at school and then try to follow the messages and ideas on the calendar.  We read about the different areas of the world that the money goes to and then celebrate that country by making the dish the calendar publishes.  Last night we read about and celebrated Kenya.  The recipe was a mashed potato dish called Irio.  Today I found several variations of the dish.  Some call for the peas and potatoes to be cooked and mashed together which would be tasty and green!

The recipe I used did not have the peas and potatoes mashed together, so was really mashed potatoes with vegetables in it.  I liked it.  Katie ate it.  Robby picked at his, leaving most of the vegies behind.  Arnie took a huge helping and then only ate half of it.  Oh well.  The more I make it, the more they will eat it.  I think I will try it once with the peas mashed with the potatoes.  I'll keep you posted on that.

I didn't feel badly about whether or not they liked the irio because I also made homemade breadsticks which were very yummy.  And pan-fried salmon cakes and green salad.  Also yummy.  No one left the table hungry!

3 comments:

  1. I made a comment here a few days ago...hmmmm maybe I put it on the wrong post! Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was your comment? I haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget now, of course! LOL

    ReplyDelete