Friday, April 1, 2011

Encouraging Improvement

So...I have always been active and have always exercised.  My children have always seen me do that although my workouts have morphed over the years.  Before they knew me, I ran hard.  Even when they were babies and toddlers, I was still running short races.  Then, sometime during my thirties, my hips started to hurt.  My doctor went "blah, blah, blah" about my body changing as I went through pregnancy and got older.  Take it easy, she said. Run on dirt and grassy pathways.  Hmmm.  Even where we live, this is not a safe option!  So, I kept running, but now on the treadmills at the YMCA where I could also see the kids at swimming lessons and use the Nautilus equipment.

Then, for our 10th anniversary, Arnie and I went to Palm Springs with our good friends, Kelly and Rob Portmann, who were also celebrating their 10th anniversary.  Kelly and I took a Pilate's class at the spa where we stayed and I was sold.

6 years later, I try to do Pilate's 2 or 3 times a week whether at the YMCA class or at home.  Relaxing, muscle-building, and rewarding.  Once the kids started swim team, I got brave enough to try swimming myself.  I'd swim laps when they were at practice.  I found swimming meditative and rewarding.  Now, I do a combination of these fine exercise workouts at least 3 times each week.

All this in that effort of mine to guide my kids and participate with my kids without pushing or being over-bearing.  This season Robby began to show interest in the competitive side of swimming.  He asked for a book that helps kids with workouts to strengthen muscles and hone strokes.  With the regular season of swim team over, we decided to lap swim a few times so that he could try some of the workouts.  What a great couple of kids they are!  Katie wanted to come just to hang out and get some swim time in. 
Robby prints out his workout, then "glues" it to a kick board.

Robby heads down the pool working on butterfly.
I just swim laps; nothing fancy here.






































Katie warms up with a kick board.

The Grays Harbor YMCA is in Hoquiam and so is the new Tully's!  We headed over there after our workout to enjoy a pastry and a drink.  We ran into a couple friends of ours also working out and stopping in to get warm and out of the rain.  Yum and fun. 
Cappuccino and biscotti for Maureen.
V-8 and a plain bagel for Robby and a banana-strawberry smoothie and lemon pound cake for Katie.  I could have predicted their orders!  Robby is simplistic and Katie is complex.
I hope these experiences keep my kids motivated to enjoy life and to take care of themselves.





No comments:

Post a Comment