Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Maureen Tries Meringue

Pie crust still baffles me.  Yet I persevere.  For Robby's birthday in February, I made a chocolate meringue pie - after I made him a devil's food cake for his "friend" birthday party.  We all liked the pie.  The meringue was especially yummy.  I used a jar of marshmallow creme to add the fluff.  Purty, too.  Shiny.  Not good the next day, though.  The meringue got too weepy and the chocolate cream tasted too watery.

Day one, though, the pie was delicious.  The crust was okay, but I wasn't completely happy with it.  It still wasn't flaky - too heavy.  This time I followed a recipe from a cookbook that Sandy and Rochelle gave me called The Complete Southern Cookbook: More than 800 of the Most Delicious, Down-Home Recipes.  The recipe was great, but I still think I overworked the dough before baking.

I will keep trying.  Heather and Dan brought jars of lime and lemon curd when they were here at Christmas.  Any ideas for pies?  Can I just mix the curd with whipped cream?  Sounds yummy to me.  Send me your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment