Monday, December 27, 2010

Experiencing Christmas Traditions

As adventurers, the kids and I love to hear about the traditions of families.  My sister-in-law, Heather, comes from an English family in which they drink ginger wine on Christmas.  Her English cousins sent her a bottle, so she brought it to share with us on Christmas. 

Of course, this adventure in food was only for the adults.  I happily took part!  Apparently in the English/Scottish tradition, ginger wine is a grand sharing experience.  It definitely had a spicy, ginger-ale taste.  I tried it mixed with ginger ale which was very smooth and relaxing.  I also tried it on ice.  It was a little spicier and left a stronger after taste.  I recommend it with the ginger ale for a more relaxed drink.  Apparently the Scots make a drink called the Ginger Mac with a splash of ginger wine in whiskey.  Not really my style, either, since we don't keep whiskey in the house.

I'm very pleased to have had the opportunity to try ginger wine.  Bloody good stuff!

That reminds me to clear my calendar for the upcoming Burn's Supper.  I shall report about haggis afterward!  Have you tried haggis?  I did last year, before I started my blog.  Maybe I will suggest that they serve ginger wine at the Burn's Supper to help us wash down the haggis.

2 comments:

  1. Haggis is...odd. I imagine that some people like it. It is very sharp/strong. Of course, I think the stuff we ate actually came out of a can which is probably blasphemous in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete