Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Adventure Means Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

During an episode of Ace of Cakes on the Food Network channel, one of the women gave chocolate chip bacon cookies as a gift.  Hmmm.  I've had chocolate covered bacon.  Liked it.  I've eaten a chocolate bacon truffle.  Liked it.  I should try chocolate chip bacon cookies.  Bet I'll like them.  The family thought I was nuts.  Robby said, "What?  Weird."  Katie wrinkled her nose and Arnie laughed.

I found a recipe on All Recipes.  Sounded like a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe with maple extract and bacon.  I did a little adjusting on the recipe to make puffier cookies and added more chocolate.  Oh my!  The cookies were delicious.  The maple flavoring (I had to use imitation because none of the stores around me had extract) gave just a hint of breakfast to back up the salty bacon.  The chocolate chips were the star of the cookie and the bacon was the excellent back up singer.

After the first pan came out, I called, "Taste testing in the kitchen," and waited to see who came.  They all three did.  They all three gave the cookie a thumbs up and wanted more.  I made them wait.  These are being served on Christmas!

Here's my version of the recipe.  I'm grateful that someone else had tried these first so that I had a base to work from.  Hurrah for adventurous eating!

Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

Ingredients
2 1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp maple extract
1/3 cup chopped cooked bacon
1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips (or whatever kind of chips you like)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl together.  In a separate bowl, beat the butter and the brown and granulated sugars with an mixer until smooth. Beat in one egg until smooth.  Beat in the other egg and the extracts until blended and fluffy.  Stir in the flour a little at a time, mixing until just combined.  Stir in the bacon and the chips.  Scoop onto parchment covered cookie sheets.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes.  Cool.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment