Sunday, May 16, 2010

Slow Cooker Soup

Mable Hoffman. I own three of her crock pot cookbooks. The crock pot is a great device for a busy mom. There is something very tantalizing about the aroma of dinner when you open the front door, starving and tired. However, I mostly like the soup recipes from her books. I've tried other recipes, like Autumn Pork Chops or California Pie, but I don't think they are super. Some things are amazing slow-cooked, but whole dinners...pot roast, maybe. I have made excellent roasts in the slow cooker.

Today Robby had a soccer game in Mossyrock, a town about an hour and 40 minutes away. We raced home from church, started Chicken Tortilla Soup (Thanks, Mable), changed our clothes, and took off. The sunshine beamed down on the car; I turned on the air conditioning. Robby laughed and called me crazy for making him bring his coat. "Always be prepared," I defended, hoping that he was right to call me crazy. We drove forever, through small towns and past quiet rivers. We hit I - 5 and had fairly easy traffic. The farther south and west we got, though, the cooler the air got. The closer we drove to the mountains, the darker the sky got. Needless to say, I wasn't crazy. Here's how the game went:

We lost and we were wet, but we weren't cold or unhappy. What a treat to drive back toward the sun! By the time we were back in Montesano, the air conditioning was back on and we were starving. Mable's soup was yummy. Katie went all out, putting cheese and chopped green onions on hers. The fried corn tortilla strips gave crunch to the soup. After dinner, we sliced up more strawberries, Robby whipped up some cream, and this time, we built Shortcakes on pound cake...Are those Strawberry Pound Cakes, by chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment