Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Dog-Eared, Stained Cookbook

I remember my mother cooking for us when we were kids. I mostly remember her Betty Crocker, 3 ring cookbook. It was stained - a couple pages had burn marks where pans were set down on them. It was dog-eared and falling apart. She used it often.

Tonight I used my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Easy and delicious recipes to the food in the fridge and the pantry together for a great meal. In my quest to get better at preparing pork, I bought country style boneless pork ribs at the market. They were plump and pretty. I made "Oven Roasted Honey and Beer Ribs". The recipe calls for pepper sauce - one of my favorite flavors. The ribs turned out sweet and spicy. Everyone ate them up. Katie had several glasses of milk as the rib sauce was too spicy for her, but ate up the pork despite the heat.

Arnie, the fearless chef, made his own potato salad to go along with the ribs. He said, "It's Memorial Day Weekend; seems like we should have potato salad." The kids liked both items on the menu. Robby did not like the egg in the potato salad, but ate the potatoes and celery when I produced a pickle for him. Mind you, not ketchup this time!

The Better Homes and Garden cookbook is in the early states of overuse. It has a few sticky pages and some stains on it. Mom will be proud!


1 comment:

  1. I tell my kids and Grandkids they will know the recipes I made the most by all the stains!

    ReplyDelete