Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken Chowder

The first time I made a thick and creamy chicken chowder for Robby and Katie they just picked at it. It was different from other soups I had made. It had cream in it. Robby complained that he couldn't see what was in it. He signed, "I just like to see what I'm eating." I told him to pick up chunks out of the soup with his spoon. "Nothing new or unusual in the soup," I said. Carrots, onions, celery, corn...nothing new. It even has shredded potatoes - which they both love. Just not in soup, at least back then. That first night, they both slowly and painfully chewed pieces of chicken and vegetables, using a fork to spear them out of the soup. Katie spent most of the meal eating bread. Robby shook the chunks so that most of the creamy broth fell off before eating it.

I didn't give up, though. It is such a quick and easy meal to make that I make it at least once a month. The tried and true meal-in-one-bowl dinner that makes the night easy and healthy.

We had it again tonight, probably two years after my first attempt. I have found that if I just keep making a dish, the kids come around. Tonight as I was preparing it, Katie called out from the living room, "Ooooh, Mom, that smells so good!" They both ate a full bowl without complaint. Excellent meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment